Crisis At Our Border
There is a crisis at our border
I’ve taken a series of actions to secure our border and push back on President Biden’s failure to enforce the laws of the United States of America.
It is clear, porous borders not only threaten our national security, but they also contribute to the spread of coronavirus and make stopping and apprehending MS-13 and other gang members more difficult. Democrats and Republicans alike have expressed concern and opposition to the President’s action.
We must secure our border. We must finish building the wall. Walls matter. We have them to protect our children in schools. We have barriers to provide security at our airports. Americans live in gated communities - including many Democrats, current members of Congress, and former Presidents - in the name of safety and security.
I have sponsored and advocated for legislation that would protect the integrity of our immigration laws, while ensuring that parents and children remain together during their legal proceedings.
- I have cosponsored H.R. 6522, the Stop the Betrayal Act, which prohibits federal funds from being used to transport illegal immigrants across our country.
- I opposed President Biden’s actions to pause funding and construction of the border wall and end the successful “Remain in Mexico” policy put in place by the Trump Administration.
- I supported and commended action by states, including Florida challenging President Biden's actions in federal court. A decision by U.S. Supreme Court on August 24, 2021 upheld the rule of law by ordering the reinstatement of Trump's "Remain in Mexico" policy.
- I and several colleagues introduced H.R. 2729 the Finish the Wall Act which would require the Department of Homeland Security to resume building the wall along our southwest border.
- I offered an amendment directing FEMA to develop a plan to mitigate COVID-19 risks at the border and requiring GAO to conduct a review to ensure best practices are being followed. Unfortunately, Democrats unanimously opposed my amendment causing it not to be included in the bill.
- I signed a discharge petition for legislation that would require the Biden Administration to enforce Title 42 at the southern border.
- Title 42 allows for swift processing and removal of migrants illegally crossing the border who also pose a risk to public health in America. Until the COVID-19 restrictions are lifted on Americans, Title 42 should remain in place to alleviate the crisis at our southern border.
- I sent a letter to President Joe Biden requesting information on the secret resettling of illegal immigrants in Florida. We know that gang members and traffickers are exploiting our open borders, but what we don’t know is whether these individuals are among those being resettled in our state. President Biden needs to provide these answers quickly and secure our border.
- Along with colleagues in the Florida Delegation, I have asked U.S Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas and U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland for a full accounting of the administration’s actions following reports of flights carrying illegal immigrants having secretly landed in Florida.
- I co-sponsored H.R. 5854, the Illegal Immigrant Payoff Prohibition Act, which prohibits payments to individuals who entered the United States illegally and in violation of our immigration laws.
This is one of my top priorities and I will keep advocating for and supporting policies and legislation that secures our borders and sensibly reforms our immigration laws.