Due to the COVID-19 lockdowns, the Department of State is backed up in processing passport applications.
- Processing time for passport applications and renewals are estimated at 18 weeks.
- Expedited processing time is 12 weeks.
As much as possible, I encourage travelers to delay scheduling international travel until receipt of passport, or allow six months processing time between submission and your scheduled travel.
You may also wish to pay for expedited processing ($60) and/or priority shipping ($17.56 for 1-2 day shipping). We highly encourage that you apply priority shipping to your application as this helps ensure your application is received in a timely manner.
How can my office help?
If your passport application is:
- Outside of the standard 18 week processing time,
- Outside of the 12 week expedited processing time, or
- You are in need of an emergency passport appointment (urgent business travel, funerals, visiting a terminally ill family member, etc.)
Please complete the Digital Privacy Act Release form. Without this form, the Department of State will not respond to any inquiries regarding your application status submitted by my office.
Please ensure to include the following information when completing this form:
- Federal Agency Involved: Department of State
- Date of Travel
- Application Locator Number
- Copy of itinerary/proof of international travel date
If you have not already requested expedited processing for your application and would like to do so visit the Expedited Service Page at the U.S. Consular Affairs Web Site for more information.
If you are experiencing an emergency (urgent business travel, funerals, visiting a terminally ill family member, etc.), you may be able to schedule an appointment by calling (877) 487-2778.
If you are experiencing an emergency and unable to obtain an appointment, please contact my staff at 352-241-9220.
International Travel & Passport FAQs
Before visiting a foreign country, you should ensure that all your travel concerns are addressed. The U.S. Department of State provides numerous resources and tools to help you prepare for international travel, including a list of Tips for Traveling Abroad that may be helpful to you. You can also sign up for the Department of State’s free Smart Traveler Enrollment Program to receive the latest travel updates and information. Further, here are a few of the most common questions the office receives that deal with passports:
How can I renew my existing passport?
In most situations, if you already have a passport that is not damaged, was issued in the past 15 years, was received after your 16th birthday, and has your same name, you can apply for a passport renewal by mail.
For more information on renewing your passport, visit the Passport Renewal Page at the U.S. Consular Affairs Web Site.
I can't wait for the normal six week processing time for my application. Can I request expedited processing?
Yes, the Leesburg office is happy to help you with this matter. This process usually requires two weeks.
For more information on expediting processing, visit the Expedited Service Page at the U.S. Consular Affairs Web Site.
If you would like my help with passport issue, please print out the Authorization Form and email or fax it to 352-241-9220.
Where can I apply for a passport?
To find the nearest location to apply for a passport you can visit the Passport Acceptance Facility Search Page.
Do I need to apply in person?
You must apply in person at an approved Passport Acceptance Facility if:
• You are applying for your first U.S. passport
• You are under age 16
• Your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under age 16
• Your previous U.S. passport was lost, stolen, or damaged
• Your previous U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago
• Your name has changed since your U.S. passport was issued and you are unable to legally document your name change
For more information on applying for your first U.S. passport, please visit the Department of State’s website here.
Can I check the status of my application online?
The status of your application should be available online 5-7 days after applying.