May 15 2020
Christmas in May for Socialists
Washington, DC – Florida Congressman Daniel Webster, R-Clermont, released the following statement about Speaker Pelosi’s bills that amount to a power-grab and $3 trillion partisan giveaway of socialist and far-left liberal programs.
“This week, Speaker Pelosi once again proved she cares more about politics than the American people. Her nearly 2,000 pages of socialist giveaways was developed in secret with zero attempts at working with Republicans or many in her own party. This bill doesn’t help hardworking Americans whose livelihoods have been cratered by the pandemic, it is a massive liberal wish list paid for at the expense of our children and grandchildren’s futures.
“Indeed, additional legislation may be necessary in response to this unprecedented pandemic, but this bill is not a serious proposal. I had hoped when lives and the economic security of our beloved country is at stake, Democrats would put aside petty politics. Yet, once again, Speaker Pelosi has chosen politics over policies to help the American people.”
“If that wasn’t enough, the Speaker is also forcing a bill that increases her power and shuts out the voices of millions of constituents. After committing to bipartisan discussions and proposals for any changes to House voting procedures and rules, the Speaker reversed course. Her proposed “voting by proxy” rule change, strips duly-elected members of their voting power and consolidates it in the hands of a few. Throughout my time in Congress and public service, I have fought to improve the legislative process and empower every member to be actively involved on behalf of their constituents. This bill is the antithesis of a member-driven process.”
Highlights of H. Res. 965 and H.R. 6800:
- $50 million to the EPA in “environmental justice grants”
- $10 million to National Endowment for the Arts
- $10 million to National Endowment for the Humanities
- $40 million to the U.S. Geological Survey
- $10,000 of blanket student loan forgiveness for all public and private loans.
- Allows illegal immigrants to receive direct stimulus payments because the bill does not require social security number verification.
- Allows taxpayer dollars to be spent on abortions
- Extends $600/week UI supplement through Jan. 31, 2021, plus a transition to allow the supplement to continue through March 31, 2021 for those who have not exhausted their benefits, meaning businesses will be competing with unemployment benefits for workers through spring of 2021. This is disastrous and will prevent reopening many sectors of our economy.
- Provides a tax break for millionaires and billionaires by repealing SALT limitations for 2020 and 2021.
- 22 House members would be able to set policy for the entire country