Hurricane Irma: Sumter
SUMTER COUNTY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT
Impact assessment is an ongoing process. Once the impact assessment is complete and major roads cleared, shelter residents will be released back to their homes. Although the Sumter County Schools are still open for residents to go to, they are redirecting most to the Sumter County Fairgrounds as part of the shelter consolidation process.
Special Needs: Wildwood Community Center 6500 Powell Road Wildwood, FL 34785, will remain open and getting power restored is a top priority.
Shelters of Last Resort are now ALL CLOSED:
Lake Panasoffkee Recreation Center 1589 CR 459, Lake Panasoffkee, FL 33538
Lake Sumter State College (Maxwell Library building) 1405 CR 526E, Sumterville, FL 33585
Bushnell Community Center 407 E Belt Ave, Bushnell, FL 33513
Lake Okahumpka Park is closed effective immediately to the public while it is being utilized as a staging area for storm recovery efforts. The park will reopen when the recovery efforts are complete.
Emergency management is now resuming their normal operations, in addition to assessing damage. Please DO NOT think this means that it is now safe for you to travel throughout the community. It is imperative that emergency personnel have the opportunity to assess the community for damage.
As the safety of District staff and residents of The Villages community remain our top priority, several offices and facilities will remain closed. As damage and recovery are assessed and determined, we will continue to update this information.
Utility operations will also begin damage assessment once it is safe. Please understand that they will begin assessing issues and outages based on priority (hospitals, assistive living facilities, etc.).
- The District Customer Service and all District Administrative offices will remain closed until Wednesday, September 13, 2017. While our physical offices will remain closed, you will still be able to contact Customer Service at (352) 753-4508 from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. for information.
- All outdoor recreation facilities including swimming pools and outdoor court facilities will remain closed until further notice.
- Recreation Centers will remain closed until Wednesday, September 13th.
- Community Watch will continue to monitor the weather conditions and will not place the gate arms back on the gates until it is safe to do so. If you approach a gate where the gate arm has been removed, please use extreme caution and make sure to stop before proceeding.
- All golf courses will be closed on Monday, September 11th. It has not yet been determined if they will need to be closed for a longer period of time.
We will continue to post updates and information as they become available. Facilities will only be re-opened after it has been determined that the area and facilities are safe to do so. We greatly appreciate your understanding and patience. Please continue to check www.DistrictGov.org for additional updates and information.